Hound owners have probably encountered the term raw dog food diet and wondered what it was all about. Raw bones and flesh, vegetables and fruits all make up this traditional diet. Veterinarians admit that this disputed diet has both benefits and risks.
Raw dog chow consists of foods that hounds would consume in their natural environment in the wild. Pooch owners need to understand that their pets are different compared to those in the wild because they have evolved to process man’s diet there are also new breeds thanks to interbreeding.
Raw canine chow diets can be prepared at home or commercial bought which can be fresh, wet or dry, and frozen. The raw diet prepared at home contains flesh, bones, supplements, greens, grains, and some fruits. Researchers believe that this diet has both benefits and risks.
Benefits of Raw Dog Food Diet
- Raw diet prepared at home gives the canine all the necessary nutrients depending on age and weight. The Commercial raw diet is usually frozen and contains no preservatives. When buying commercial raw diets choose dog nutrition brands that are reliable and trusted.
- Consuming this diet regularly will transform the dog’s coat to be more smooth and silky. Proteins contained in raw meat provide fat that is responsible for a soft coat.
- Hounds that consume the raw diet have stronger teeth and improved breath. Busy pet owners can get the best raw dog food that suits their pet according to age.
- Hounds like all other carnivores need flesh. This canine chow diet provides fat and protein that builds the muscles and gives the dog more energy.
Risks of this Diet
- Your canine friends are immune to many diseases and parasites found in raw foods but they could pass them to humans through their feces. Having the best dry dog food that you can use to replace the home-made dog food will prevent the spread of disease.
- The canine might suffer from malnutrition because uncooked vegetables are hard to digest and absorb into the body. They might also lack phosphorous and calcium.
- The possibility of breaking their teeth or choking is increased especially for puppies. When using commercial nutrition you need to know what to mix with dry dog food.
Hound owners need to answer several questions before giving their pets dog food like ‘what is dog food made out?’ of and ‘what to mix with dry dog food’.
What is Dog Food Made Out of?
Hound food is made with meat products, vitamins, cereals, grains, and essential minerals. All these ingredients provide protein, fats, and carbohydrates to canines of different ages.
What to Mix with Dry Dog Food
Cottage cheese, yogurt, fatty acid oils, steamed vegetables, and eggs are all great components to be added to dry dog food. This will improve health and increases the pet’s appetite.
Raw canine chow nutrition plan remains a controversial topic with people torn between the benefits and risks. Those who adopt this method should remember to protect themselves from infections and to vary the pet’s diet so that they can get all the nutrients.
Do all hounds have the same reaction to raw canine chow? Which is more tolerable? Share your thoughts with us in the comments.